Today’s learners can use a variety of technologies to access knowledge resources and interact globally with people. These interactions create a digital society that affords learners opportunities for education, entertainment and social interaction. Most of today’s children are comfortable using technology, but may not use it efficiently, effectively or appropriately. Teachers can create learning experiences that foster specific digital literacy skills. They can also help learners understand their roles and responsibilities as responsible digital citizens who can participate in the knowledge economy.
Participants who successfully complete the course will be able to:
- Explain the scope and impact of digital literacy.
- Evaluate pedagogical approaches that support the education of digital literacies.
- Teach advanced navigation and evaluation web resources.
- Create media to express an idea.
- Explain the principles of media literacy.
- Analyse media messages.
- Explain the responsibilities of digital citizenship.
- Develop a school plan for teaching digital literacy and digital citizenship.